Summer time is here! Picnics, BBQs, and camping. Ice cold lemonade, watermelon and ants, it wouldn’t be summer with out the ants. Summer family get togethers are my favorite, sitting outside reminisce about the good old days or playing board games. One of our family favorite games is Tile Rummy. In the past my mom, Grandma and a close family friend Florence would play Tile Rummy for hours. So now we keep up the Tile Rummy tradition and play it often. Sometimes we play for mini candy bar, each round the winner will get a mini candy bar. My sister and daughter Nina usually end up with the most candy.
Our summer family get togethers usually includes some type of food. Sometimes it’s simple, like cut up watermelon or something bigger like a BBQ. When we have a BBQ I like to make quick and easy side dishes that I can make before hand, that way I can enjoy more time with my family instead of in the kitchen. My Summer Bean Salad is super easy. I like to make it the night before so it has time to marinate. And it is always a big hit with the young and not so old!
Summertime Bean Salad
1 can kidney beans
1 can black eye peas
1 can black beans
1 can green beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can corn
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
2 green onions finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons of cilantro finely chopped
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes
1) Drain and rinse beans and corn, put in large bowl.
2) Add chopped green onions, onions and cilantro.
3) In a small to medium bowl add dressing ingredients mix well, until sugar is dissolved and oil and vinegar is well combined.
4) Pour dressing over beans and mix until all beans are coated.
5) Chill for 2 to 3 hours. The longer the better. Mix well before serving.