Fall is my favorite time of the year… pumpkins, apple, the smell of spices and cool weather. Except if you are in California, last week you would have thought it was in the middle of summer HOT HOT HOT!!
Any way back to fall. I love the cooler nights, having a pot of soup simmering on the stove, a big roast cooking away, the smell of cookies in the oven, and my all time favorite….Halloween!
I like to make batches of this super easy sliced cookie recipe to keep on hand. It is so versatile, you can make it in all kinds of different shapes. For fall I make candy corn, December it becomes Christmas tress, Easter time I make carrots and colorful egg shapes. I even make just plain old rounds logs and add sprinkles. One year I found some heart and flower shaped bread tube, I use them to make my logs. They came out so cute. So let your imagination wander, I’m sure you can come up with some great ideas!
When you get a chance whip up a batch or two, you will be happy you did!
1 1/2 cups of softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla
- In another bowl mix baking soda, salt and flour.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix together. It will look crumbly at this point, mix by hand and it will come together.
- If making candy corn cookies.. divide you dough into to 3 different parts, large part for yellow dough, medium part for orange, and small part for white. Mix colors.
- Divide each color into 2 parts. Take 1 part of each color and roll each color into a 10 inch log. When done, stack the dough with yellow on bottom, orange and then white on top. Shape into a triangle shape log. Wrap with waxed paper and chill for 4 hours or freeze for future use. Repeat with remaining dough.
- If making plain round cookie, divided dough in half roll into a 10 inch log shape or which ever shape you decide. Add sprinkles!!
- When baking, Pre-heat oven to 350 slice cookies into 1/4 slices place on parchment lined or ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let set on cookie sheet for 1 to 2 minutes then remove to baking rack to cool completely.