Every fall around my nieces birthday it’s time to pull out the big popcorn pot and make “My Caramel Corn”. It has been a big hit with my family and friends since the first time I made it years ago. I always make several batches because everyone wants to take some to go. This past weekend we had family over and I made 4 batches. It was so much, I had to ask my sister to stop by the store and pick up a big Rubbermaid tub to store it in. Then when everyone is about to leave I pack up a gallon or two sized zip bags for each family to take with them, and of course I make sure to have lots left for us… It’s so good you’re going to have to make a batch, but be warned it’s addicting.
8 quarts of plain popped popcorn (about 2 cup of unpopped popcorn)
2 cup of your favorite nuts (optional)
3 cups of brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of butter
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pre-heatoven to 250
- Divide popped popcorn into 2 large roasting pans that have been sprayed with non stick spray, top each pan with 1 cup of nuts.
- In a heavy sauce pan on medium heat add brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt, stir. Once it comes to a boil, keep stirring for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes, remove from heat and carefully add baking soda and vanilla mixture will foam. Quickly add half of the mixture to each if the prepared popcorn pans. Mix, mixture will not cover all popcorn.
- Bake for 1 hour, stir popcorn every 15 minutes. When finished baking let set for a couple of minutes, then mix to brake up clumps.
- Store in air tight container.