One of Big V’s favorite muffins are Bran Muffins. He loves them slightly warm with butter. So when he asked if I could make some, the hunt was on for the “Perfect” Bran Muffin. I started playing around with different concoctions tying to get the best muffin that was moist and with big flavor. I tried some with bran cereal and some without. I tried toasting the wheat bran and not toasting. I added all white flour with the wheat bran and all wheat flour.l I even tried a 50/50 white flour/wheat flour mix. In the end I came up with a muffin recipe that Big V was very happy with. I am very pleased with my Bran Muffins with Raisins and Walnuts, but like all other recipes I will still keep playing around with it. Who knows I might come up with the “Ultimate Perfect Bran Muffin”.
Bran Muffins with Raisins and Walnuts
(Makes about 12 regular size muffins)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups wheat bran, toasted
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Pre-heat oven to 350
1) Toast wheat bran on a plain cookie sheet in oven, stir every couple of minutes to prevent burning for 6 to 8 minutes. It will have a toasty smell when done. Set aside, cool completely.
2) Spray muffin tin or line with liners.
3) In a medium bowl add sugar, molasses, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla, mix well.
4) In a large bowl add cooled wheat bran, wheat flour, white flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, mix well. Add raisins and walnuts coat with flour mixture.
5) Fold wet mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Do not over mix.
6) Fill muffin tin almost to the top of liners. I use an ice cream scooper.
7) Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
8) Cool muffins in tin for about 3 to 5 minutes, remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Enjoy them warm or at room temperature. They also freeze well. And don’t forget the butter!